Words fail me pic

Words fail me pic

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Asher is the tortoise AND the hare

So.  After almost FOUR YEARS of life, Asher Stephen Hutchinson has finally decided he may be up for this potty training thing.  We've tried different times and I just didn't feel he was ready.  I won't push, either.  I lean more toward child-led experiences than anything else.

Call me a tree-hugging, granola chompin' hippie, if you must.  I don't mind.  Really :)  Trees are pretty and granola is tasty.

Anyway, it got me thinking.  So many parents try to keep up with such a strict schedule for when their child should be doing things like walking, singing ABCs, talking, getting teeth, potty training, etc that it leaves them stressed out and feeling inadequate as parents.

Eeeeek, don't dare compare!

Each child and family is so different.  We don't care much about schedules, but some families need them.  We co-sleep and it works for us, some parents would be left so stressed out thinking about a child in their bed that it wouldn't be worth it.  We chose private school, you may choose to homeschool or public school.  Whatever works for ya.

There are times when you'll need to know what your child is doing by a certain age and I'm not saying throw away the sheet that gives you approximate dates for things, but PLEASE for the LOVE quit comparing your child's progress to another child's progress.  Walking early means nothing except having panic attacks earlier than other moms and dads from the wobbly falling.  Making your child memorize the ABCs at a startling young age does not equal genius!  I guess it's a good hat trick, and if he/she enjoys it great, but getting caught up in the hype and mommy/daddy wars isn't doing anyone any good.  I myself would rather play with play-doh or water in a bucket than repeat letters over and over in creative ways but for people who have that teacher gene, it thrills them to see their child soaking that in.  GREAT!  Either way...

YOU'RE DOING A GREAT JOB!  

No matter how you're raising your child/ren,  if you go with your instinct and sprinkle in some knowledge YOU'RE DOING A GREAT JOB!

Just...please.  Chill.  Out.  No little fairies will come down to take away your parenting badges if your child isn't potty trained by four.

Asher has always been "behind" in almost every area of his life, he just moves at a different speed.  It's ironic because he's so speedy on land, but in the world of development he's my precious little tortoise :)

I love being a mom.  Why let things like time tables get me down?  Once again:

YOU'RE DOING A GREAT JOB!!!!! 

I'm learning so much from every mom/dad/caretaker on Facebook so keep your funny stories, and "things that work for me" advice coming.

Much love,
C

No comments:

Post a Comment