Words fail me pic

Words fail me pic

Sunday, October 14, 2012

I just had some deep thoughts in the shower (where they always come to me, no joke haha)  I was thinking about how people should admit their strengths more often.  Not in a "way to go, me" way but just acknowledge them to themselves.  We're so down on ourselves so often, so I made myself come up with three of my own.

For example, I am really good at saying no.  I'm also pretty good at not having too much to do, if I feel stressed, I just hole up in the house with my little family and regroup.   I never have to pencil in time for that, I'm just really good at making sure it happens.  (ok with any of these strengths too far in the wrong direction can be bad.  Sometimes, I hole up TOO much to escape, so there is definitely a balance).

This all led to me think that I'm also pretty good at remaining in awkward silences (especially when people are hurting).  You just never know what thoughts are coming together in that silence, what God is speaking to that person in that silence that you think will go on and on forever.  If you speak to just fill it, he/she may miss an important moment or a revelation.

The point of all this, is that I'm challenging you today to sit with someone in their silence.  Don't talk to fill it up, don't immediately jump to how that somehow relates to YOUR life, just sit with them awhile.  Don't miss it!  Silence is ok, but we live in this world where we want to fill up every second with something.  (I'm the worst).  

 When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate now knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.  -Henri Nouwen


No comments:

Post a Comment