Words fail me pic

Words fail me pic

Monday, May 28, 2012

Ok God, I get it (even if you've had to tell me twice) blood, not bandaid and context is key

I'm going to tell you how God has rebuked me... twice...over the same issue.

Romans 15:4 For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.

A while back, the Lord spoke into me that I was using the Word like a band aid.  I was googling, "what to pray for... (insert issue here)" or "Scriptures to use for... (insert issue here)" instead of reading it. There's nothing wrong with googling those things, but if I'm not also IN His Word, the Word isn't as effective for me.

He told me He wants this Word inspired by Him to be like blood.  He wants it to mix with my blood and be so much a part of who I am that I can't tell where my blood ends and the blood of His Word begins.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

For that to happen, I must read it all often (the amount of time and how often I read the bible is very different for me than for you, so that's why I'm not throwing out a particular meaning of "often").  It must seep into me and become a part of me because it already is.  I have this suspicion that because we were created by the breath of God (Genesis 2) that the story of creation is already within us and we need to READ the truth of it to unlock it.  Or something.  I haven't figured all of that out yet, but it's coming...


Joshua 1:8 Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.


What happens is that just using scriptures for occasions or problems removes the context of the Word.  Exodus 14:14 changed my perspective on things, but especially when I found out where it lies in the midst of the story of Moses parting the Red Sea.  Just the scripture alone was enough to change things for me, but I'm more likely to lose the significance of it if it doesn't stick in my head with the whole story.  He loves stories, doesn't He?  So, they should be important to me.  Plus, I need to know WHY it was said and WHAT it preceded or followed.

Another example is Revelation 3:20  "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."  Until Pastor Steve said that He was talking to the church here, I just always assumed that He was talking about salvation.  That He was speaking to unbelievers because that scripture has been used that way and only that way by people speaking to me.  I'm sure it CAN be spoken that way too, but I never read the surrounding scriptures to tell why and to whom he was speaking.  QUESTIONS THINGS!  The only way to find the answers though, is to read it all.  Obtain the context.

Back to my rebuke...I did change... for awhile, then started falling back into my old ways.  One day, I realized that I hadn't written a poem in about 4 weeks.  There was just no desire.  When I write (blogs or poetry), I'll go a couple of weeks not feeling inspired to write anything and then BOOM!  I wake up one day and write 4 blogs in a row or stare at the screen until a poem evolves and then come back and later and change it and start half of another one and my wrists ache from writing and my mind is a swirling mess of revelations and it's AWESOME!  But it straight wears me out.  I could never go on like that forever, so in His wisdom, He gives me seasons.  I'll get a few weeks off and then it'll hit again.  It's the only way it would work.

But FOUR WEEKS of no poetry?  And by now, it's been another four weeks.  It's torture and I start to wonder if it'll ever come back.  A part of me thanks Him for the year that it just burst from within me. At least I have all of those pages.  But, the bigger part of me would be devastated if it was over.

It's not.  And here's how I know.  A few weeks ago, He suddenly spoke into me that until I start knowing His Word (blood not bandaid) then He would allow me to use my word.

John 6:63 The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life. 

You think that I jumped right in, right?  Sigh.  I wish that I was that obedient.  For some reason, I just haven't.  But I'm going to.  Today.  For reals.  And not just to get my poetry back. But because there is no reason for poetry apart from Him.  There is no reason for poetry without my story and I won't know my story until I read it from His Word.  I'll never learn my story reading one popular bible verse after another.  Context is key.

John 8:31-32 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”


Acts 20:32 Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.


Matthew 4:4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’


John 14:23-24 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.



No comments:

Post a Comment