Words fail me pic

Words fail me pic

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Some random poems

I obviously didn't stick with the 40 days of Poetry because...it just felt...wrong?  Anyway, I'll post a few at a time for a little while and see what happens.

Lord, here I am again
Wandering in the desert
Looking for You, where I know you're not
Why do I seek so hard
In places I know you don't inhabit? 
It gives my mind somewhere to go

So I can pretend I'm progressing

**

I won't eat the fruit of another tree
I say

While the sticky juice is still drying on my hands
I forget and take two more bites
While I’m forming the “why did I do that?”
In my mind
I scream out
“Don’t eat this fruit!”
As I raise it high to show the crowd
I don’t even see the bites taken out
By my own disobedient teeth
That lie next to my blazing tongue

The juice from the fruit
Mixes with my words
As they both fly out into the crowd with my words
Sugar and condemnation
Coated with hypocrisy
Creating a meaning I didn’t intend

**

I'm sorry for making you a tradition
I spent years doing it
And I fall into it at times
Even now
When you are more real to me
Than my own face in the mirror

What I really want
But am too afraid to ask
Is for You to blow me away
Whip at those traditions as You did
The moneychangers in the temple
Drive out any preconceived notions
Upend my bag of tricks
Turn the tables on my self-confidence
For you alone carry my confidence

Don’t let me bring those traditions
Into the sanctuary of
Your sacred, holy presence
Stop the celebration-of-self party
That I’ve been throwing
And only inviting you to

Be the party
Be the fireworks
Be the presents
Be The Presence
I promise to invite the guests
You prepare them

No comments:

Post a Comment